historics_header

Andre Monument

42 Andre Hill
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-364-2670

Website: http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/environ">http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/environ
E-mail

Andre Monument marks the site where the British spy was hanged and buried in 1780 during the American Revolution.  It is a large granite monument located on a 20' by 20' plot enclosed by a wrought iron fence.


Brick Church

220 Brick Church Rd.
New Hempstead, NY 10977

Phone: 845-354-6131

Website:
E-mail

Built in 1774.  The graves of Revolutionary soldiers and some original settlers are found in its church yard.


Camp Shanks

S. Greenbush Road
Orangeburg, NY 10962

Phone: 845-638-5419

Website:
E-mail

Exhibit focus on military life in Camp Shanks during WWII.  The site of Camp Shanks once stretched from Blauvelt to the New Jersey Border. Some 1.3 million soldiers shipped out from here, via the Piermont Pier, on their way to Normandy Invasion. Open Memorial Day through Labor Day.  Saturday and Sunday only, noon-4pm.  No Admission, handicapped accessible.  


Central Presbyterian Church

64 New Main Street
Haverstraw, NY 10927

Phone: 845-429-5111

Website:
E-mail

150 years old.  13 full size Tiffany windows shown by appointment.
 


Christ Episcopal Church of Piermont

416 Valentine Avenue
Sparkill, NY 10976

Phone: 845-359-2858

Website:
E-mail

This 150 year old church was born in a converted warehouse and has survived the Civil War.
 


Clarkstown Reformed Church

107 Strawtown Road
West Nyack, NY 10994

Phone: 845-358-4320

Website:
E-mail

Built in 1750, has graves of Revolutionary soldiers and some original settlers are found in its churchyards.
 


Clarksville Inn

One Strawtown Road
West Nyack, NY 10994

Phone: 845-358-2801

Website:
E-mail

Built by Thomas Warner in 1840 as a hotel.
 


Dewint House & Museum

20 Livingston Ave.
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-1359

Website: www.dewinthouse.com
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

George Washington’s temporary Headquarters at Tappan on four separate occasions during the American Revolutionary War.  Carriage House and the surrounding grounds are open to the public without fee, 10am-4 pm daily except Mondays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Reservations for large groups are requested. 


Dutch Garden

21 New Hempstead Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-364-2670

Website:
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Designed by Mary Mowbray Clarke in 1933-34 as memorial to county's early settlers. In 1935 it won garden of the year award from Better Homes & Gardens magazine. Master craftsman Biaglo Gugliuzzo of Garnerville created walks and latticed walls of Haverstraw brick.  Now a county park with historic markers on site. Features a beautiful display of flowering bulbs in spring. 


Edward Hopper House Art Center

82 North Broadway
Nyack, NY 10960

Phone: 845-358-0774

Website: www.edwardhopperhouse.org
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

This birthplace and boyhood home of the eminent realist painter Edward Hopper was built in 1858.  Hopper was born here in 1882, graduated from Nyack High School, died in 1967, and is buried in Nyack's Oak Hill Cemetery.  The restored house is a NYS Historic Site.  One of its rooms is devoted to materials about Hopper's work and life in Nyack.  Three other rooms provide space for monthly exhibits by local artists.  The restored garden is the setting for jazz concerts on summer evenings.  Handicapped accessible.  Sat. & Sun. 1:00-5:00pm.  Admission Free.  Suggested donation $1.
 


Harmony Hall~Jacob Sloat House

15 Liberty Rock Road
Sloatsburg, NY 10974

Phone: 845-712-5220

Website: www.friendsofharmonyhall.org
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Harmony Hall, original home of Jacob Sloat, built 1848. A considerable example of late Greek Revival style. Typified by raised center section and flanking symmetrical
 


Haverstraw Brick Museum

12 Main St.
Haverstraw, NY 10927

Phone: 845-947-3505

Website: www.haverstrawbrickmuseum.com
E-mail

Exhibits relate and recount the over 100-year history of brick making in Haverstraw, an area once known as "The Brick-making Capital of the world."
 


Historical Society of Rockland

20 Zukor Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-634-9629

Website: www.rocklandhistory.org
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The modern museum features changing exhibits and programs throughout the year. 

Administrative Office Hours: Tuesday-Friday 10am-5pm
Museum Gallery Exhibitions Hours: Wednesday-Sunday noon-4pm


Historical Society of the Nyacks

PO Box 850
Nyack, NY 10960

Phone: 845-358-0552

Website: www.nyackhistory.org
E-mail

Armchair Tours, interesting excursions, and exhibits at the Nyack Library and other venues.
 


Holocaust Museum & Study Center

17 South Madison Ave.
Spring Valley, NY 10977

Phone: 845-356-2700

Website: www.holocauststudies.org
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Permanent exhibit combines graphics, montages, artifacts, and audio visual displays to detail every phase of the Holocaust.  Changing art exhibits.  Open to the public free of charge.  Sun-Thurs 12-4pm.  Closed major Jewish Holidays. Handicapped accessible.
 


Law Enforcement Museum

55 New Hempstead Road
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-638-5585

Website:
E-mail

The walls of the county Sheriffs Dept. are filled with photos and interesting memorabilia relating to the history of law enforcement in Rockland County, new York City and around the nation. Free admission. Handicapped accessible.  Open weekdays by appointment.
 


Marian Shrine

Off Filors Lane
West Haverstraw, NY 10993

Phone: 845-947-2200

Website: www.marianshrine.org
E-mail

Featuring an exact replica of St. John Bosco's birthplace, and statues by Italian sculptor Henry Arrighini.  Offers a center for pilgrimage and prayer.
 


New Hempstead Presbyterian Church

474 New Hempstead Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-354-2372

Website: www.nhpc.org
E-mail

The first English-speaking church established in the county.
 


Orangetown Museum and Archives

196 Blaisdell Road
Orangeburg, NY 10962

Phone: 845-398-1302

Website: www.orangetownmuseum.com
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Located at the DePew House.
 


Piermont Historical Society

P.O. Box 362
Piermont, NY 10968

Phone:

Website: www.piermonthistoricalsociety.org
E-mail

Founded in 2005, initially to restore Piermont’s 19th century Erie Railroad train station, also known as the Belle Kelly House. This property is located on Ash St. in the village and is also accessible by the Erie RR nature trail.
 


Rockland County Volunteer Fire Services Museum

35 Firemen's Memorial Dr.
Pomona, NY 10970

Phone: 845-634-1249

Website:
E-mail

200 years of fire service history, including a horse-drawn steamer, hand drawn hose cart and antique fire trucks.  Collection of firematic memorabilia dating back to 1834 when Orangetown Fire Co. #1 was the first to organize. Call for appointment.
 


St. Charles AME Zion Church

432 Valentine Avenue
Sparkill, NY 10976

Phone: 845-359-3509

Website:
E-mail

A 140 year old church.  Founded in 1865.
 


St. Peters Church

115 Broadway
Haverstraw, NY 10927

Phone: 845-429-2196

Website: www.saintpeterschurch.us
E-mail

The first Mass in Haverstraw, New York was celebrated in St. Peter's Catholic Church in 1847. The oldest Catholic church in Rockland County.  Founded by the Irish immigrants, original church was burned down and later rebuilt.
 


Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site

Park Rd. off 9W
Stony Point, NY 10980

Phone: 845-786-2521

Website: www.palisadesparksconservancy.org
E-mail

Exhibits relating to the Battle of Stony Point in 1779.  Scene of Brigadore General Anthony Wayne's surprise capture of the British-held fort.  Museum displays relics of the battle which became an important American Victory.  Features picnicking, blacksmithing, musketing, artillery, campfires, demonstrations, tours and panoramic view of the Hudson River.  Museum Hours:  Wed. - Sat. 10am to 4:30pm; Sunday - Noon to 4:30pm.  Grounds open Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5pm.; Sat. 10am to 5pm; Sun. noon to 5pm.  Parking $5.00 on weekends. 


Stony Point Lighthouse

Park Rd. off 9W
Stony Point, NY 10980

Phone: 845-786-2521

Website:
E-mail

Restored 1826 lighthouse, oldest on the river.
 


Suffern Railroad Museum

1 Erie Plaza
Suffern, NY 10901

Phone: 845-357-2600

Website:
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Opened in l998, and located on Orange Avenue, at the corner of Commuter Parking Lot A, the museum is housed in an l908 Wells Fargo Building,  restored to showcase Suffern’s rich railroad history.  The Railroad Museum is open by appointment.  For information, call 357-2600.
 


Suffern Village Museum

61 Washington Ave.
Suffern, NY 10901

Phone: 845-357-2600

Website:
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Exhibits relating to the history of Suffern and the Ramapo area from earliest settlement through the 20th century.  Includes displays relating to American Indians, original Avon products, nearby iron mines and Dan Beard, who lived in Suffern and was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America.  Open Sundays 2pm to 4pm except on weekends that include major holidays.  It is open by appointment during the months of July and August.  Special programs are offered during the year. Located on the top floor of the Municipal Building.
 


Tappan Reformed Church

32 Old Tappan Road
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-1694

Website:
E-mail

The English - speaking church established in the county (1734).
 


Tappantown Historical Society

PO Box 71
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-7790

Website: www.tappantown.org
E-mail

The Tappantown Historical Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1965 and permanently chartered by the New York State Board of Regents to preserve, protect and enhance buildings and sites in Tappan's 85 acre historic area, and to perpetuate Tappan's heritage of architecture and history.
 


The 76’ House

110 Main Street
Tappan, NY 10983

Phone: 845-359-5476

Website: www.76house.com
E-mail

Third oldest restaurant in America, this was Washington's headquarters, Major John Andre's prison, and the site of the signing of the Orangetown Resolution.  Open 7 days, lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch.
 


The Isaac DePew House

196 Blaisdell Road
Orangeburg, NY 10962

Phone: 845-398-1302

Website: www.orangetownmuseum.com
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Built about 1778 and is part of the Orangetown Museum Complex. 
 


The Jacob Blauvelt Farmhouse

20 Zukor Rd.
New City, NY 10956

Phone: 845-634-9629

Website: www.rocklandhistory.org
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Restored 1832 Farmhouse.  An example of Flemish Vernacular architecture with Greek Revival ornamentation the house contains period rooms that illustrate the lifestyles of local farming families during the first half of the nineteenth century.  Office hours: Tues-Fri, 10am-5pm.  Exhibts: Wed-Sun noon-4pm.   Group tours by appointment. 


The Michael Salyer House

213 Blue Hill Road
Pearl River, NY 10965

Phone: 845-735-0429

Website: www.orangetownmuseum.com
E-mail .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

The Salyer House was built in the last quarter of the 18th century.  In 2003 the Salyer House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Showcases three permanent exhibits, by appointment only.  Handicapped accessible, donations appreciated..